1. look for 尋找 I am looking for my contact lens.
2. stand for = represent代表 I stood for my school to enter the contest.
3. ask sb for sth 向某人要某物 I like to ask my dad for pocket money.
4. ask for trouble 自找麻煩、自找苦吃 If you study in the dark, you will ask for trouble.
5. wait for 等待 Don’t let so many people wait for you.
6. care for = be fond of 喜愛 I care for music. = I am fond of music.
7. long for 渴望 I have longed for a vacation for several months.
8. love for sb 對….的愛 This is my love for you.
9. be ready for 準備….好了 I am ready for the tests.
10. be ready to VR 準備好做某事 I am ready to take a trip to Taipei.
11. be famous for 以…出名 Taipei 101 is famous for its height.
be famous as 以…身分出名 Joe is famous as an actor.
12. be sorry for 對…感到難過或道歉 I am sorry for your mom’s death.
13. for example 例如 I love many kinds of animals, for example, koalas, giraffes ,and zebras.
14. thank sb for sth 為了某事感謝某人 I want to thank you for helping me.
15. be thankful to sb for sth 為了某事感謝某人 I am thankful to my dad for bringing me up.
16. go for a walk ＝ take a walk 去散步 Let’s go for a walk.
17. for nothing 免費、沒有報酬 I am a volunteer, so I help people for nothing.
18. have …for dinner 吃…做為晚餐 I ate beef noodle and fried rice for dinner.
19. leave for…. 前往某地 We left for China from Taipei.
20. prepare for….. 準備… I have to prepare for the Math test tomorrow.
21. prepare sth for sb 為誰準備某物 Mom prepares lunch box for me every day.
22. it’s time for…= It’s time to V ….的時間到了 It’s time for bed.
23. buy / sell sth for 錢用多少錢買/賣某物 Father bought the computer for ten thousand dollars. Joe sold the car for fifty thousand dollars.
24. buy sth for sb 買…給某人 Please buy the DVD for me.
25. pay 錢for sth 付多少錢買…. I paid 100 dollars for the watch.
26. for sale 出售中 The mansion is for sale now.
27. answer for…=be responsible for… 為….負責
You have to answer for your own errors (失誤;差錯).●
28. for the first time 第一次 I took a trip to France last summer for the first time.
29. for the last time 最後一次 I saw my Uncle Bill for the last time.
30. for a while 一下子、一會兒 I need to stay here for a while.
31. for a long time 很久的時間 I have learned Mandarin for a long time.
32. as for…至於、關於 As for the money, I will work it out.
33. for good = forever 永遠 I will miss you for good.
34. for fun 為了樂趣 I love to learn everything for fun.
35. for sure 確切地 Nobody can tell Joe from Tim for sure.