1. out of date 過時的；陳舊的
The documents are already out of date.
2. to date = until now 到目前為止
To date, I haven’t heard from him yet.
3. up to date 最新的
The news is not up to date at all.
4. on the decrease 在減少中
on the increase/rise 在增加中
The population of this city is on the decrease.
5. devote oneself/sth. to + O = be devoted to + O
= dedicate oneself/sth. to + O = be dedicated to + O
He devoted/dedicated his whole life to the development of
6. to a ( certain ) degree = somewhat = to some extent
John is to a degree difficult to get along with.
7. deprive 人 of 權利 剝奪~的權利
The Communist government deprives the people of their
8. in detail 詳細地
This matter will be discussed in detail later.
9. drive at 意指；用意何在
I can’t make out what you are driving at.
10. drop sb. a line/note 捎封短信
Be sure to drop me a line/note as soon as you get there.
1. on duty 值班；上班
off duty 下班；不用值班
Don’t call me when I am on duty; call me when I am off duty.
2. have an ear for ~ 對 ~ 有鑑賞力 (用聽的)
have an eye for ~ 對 ~ 有鑑賞力 (用看的)
She has an ear for classical music.
She has an eye for beautiful paintings.
3. turn a deaf ear to ~ 充耳不聞
turn a blind eye to ~ 視而不見
The manager turned a deaf ear to the secretary’s complaints.
I can’t turn a blind eye to your sufferings.
4. leave much/nothing to be desired
Your performance still leaves much to be desired.
5. on a diet 節食
She plans to go on a diet.
6. dispose of + O 處置
How are you going to dispose of the property?
7. in dispute 在爭論中
The issue is still in dispute.
8. drop by/in = stop by/in 順道看看
drop in on + 人 順道拜訪 ~ 人
He drops by to see us once in a while.
Drop in on us at your convenience.
9. to the effect that 大意是說
He wrote a letter to the effect that he would not come over for
dinner next Saturday.
10. make an effort = make efforts = take pains 努力
To learn English well, we have to make great efforts.
1. make every effort = do one’s best = do one’s utmost
Please make every effort to save him.
2. at the eleventh hour = at the last possible moment
He never studies until the eleventh hour.
3. be equal to = equal 等於
Six divided by two equals / makes / is three.
4. lay/put/place + emphasis/stress + on + O 強調
= stress + O = emphasize + O = focus on + O
Schools should put more emphasis on moral values and
5. out of employment = out of work = out of a/one’s job 失業
He is out of work again.
6. make (both) ends meet 使收支平衡；量入為出
They can hardly make (both) ends meet.
7. be engaged in = engage ( oneself ) in 從事於
He is engaged in foreign trade.
8. be engaged 有事；忙著
The line is engaged. (英式用法)
The line is busy. (美式用法)
The line is free.
9. be engaged to = engage oneself to 和~訂婚
Jane is engaged to a famous actor.
10. be equal to = be competent for 能勝任；與~相等
He is not competent for his job.