1. play truant = play hooky = skip class/school 逃學；蹺課
You must not skip class.
2. turn down 拒絕；調低音量
cf. turn up 調高音量；出現/席
They turned me down.
Please turn down the radio.
3. turn in = hand in = submit 繳交
You must turn in your paper before the deadline.
4. turn off 關掉
cf. turn on 打開
Turn off the lights before you go to bed.
5. under way 在進行中
Preparations for a big celebration are under way.
6. ups and downs = rise and fall 興衰
I have experienced the ups and downs of life.
7. up to sb. 由某人決定
It’s (all) up to you.
8. with one voice = to a man 異口同聲；全體一致
We exclaimed with one voice.
9. be versed in = be good/skilled at = be at home in 精通
She is good at watercolor painting.
10. with a view to + O 為了要
We moved to Taipei with a view to receiving a better
1. be vital to + O = be essential to/for + O 對~極重要
Air, food and water are vital to man’s survival.
2. pose a threat to + O 對~構成威脅
Polluted air poses a threat to our health.
3. on one’s way to + N 在去~的途中
on one’s way + adv.
I’m on my way to the airport.
He is on his way home.
4. stand in one’s/the way 阻礙
You are standing in my way.
5. by the way 順便提及；喔！對了
By the way, do you want a cup of coffee?
6. by way of = via 經由
He flew to New York by way of Tokyo.
7. under the weather 不舒服
I feel a little bit under the weather today.
8. contract + 病 = be infected with + 病
He is infected with malaria.
9. eat/swallow one’s words 取消前言；承認口誤
He said that no one could beat him at tennis , but he had to
eat his words after losing several games.
10. in other words 換句話說
You can’t stay here; in other words, you have to leave now.
1. work out 解決；完成；運動
The situation worked out quite well.
2. make one’s mouth water 使人垂涎
The dessert makes my mouth water.
3. walk out on 遺棄
Her husband walked out on her and the kids.
4. be up to sth. 圖謀不軌
I suspect that he is up to something.
5. be present in 存在於
Calcium is present in many kinds of food, such as milk and
6. be burdened with (沉重地)負荷著
I am burdened with heavy studies and endless tests.
7. turn one’s stomach = turn sb. off 倒~的胃口
That lousy movie really turned my stomach.
8. come to one’s senses = come to (oneself ) 甦醒
He finally came to his senses and found himself in the
9. in (one’s/the) pursuit of 追求
He is lost in his pursuit of wealth and fame.
10. have a preference for + O 偏好
I have a preference for French cuisine.
1. bear in mind = keep in mind = remember 牢記在心
Always bear in mind that honesty is the best policy.
2. beat around/about the bush 拐彎抹角；聲東擊西
Just tell me what you want. Don’t beat around/about the bush.
3. become of +人= happen to +人 發生；遭遇
What will become of the pro-democracy students and
4. be becoming to + O 適合~；與~相稱
= be suitable for + O
This hair style is very becoming to you.
5. get out of bed on the wrong side 心情不好；不對勁
= be in a bad mood
What’s wrong with you? Did you get out of bed on the wrong
6. on behalf of sb.= on sb.’s behalf 代表
I wrote this letter on behalf of my father.
7. behind schedule 落後；遲到
The train arrived behind schedule.
8. leave behind 遺忘；忘記帶走
Have we left anything behind?
9. lag behind = fall behind 落後
Nancy was tired and lagged behind.
10. leave out 遺漏；缺漏；冷落
Sorry, I left out the most important point.
1. make believe = pretend 假裝
He made believe that he was innocent.
2. believe it or not 信不信由你
Believe it not, I saw a UFO last night.
3. to (the best of) my knowledge 據我所知
To the best of my knowledge, he wants to start all over again.
4. between you and me = between ourselves
Don’t let on. It’s between you and me.
5. a/the black sheep 害群之馬；敗家子
Harry is the black sheep of the family.
6. beyond description 無法描述(筆墨難以形容)
beyond compare 無與倫比
beyond doubt 無庸置疑
beyond repair 無法修復
beyond remedy 無藥可救
The scenery is beyond description.
The damage caused by super typhoon Wayne was beyond
7. black and blue 瘀青的
He was beaten black and blue.
8. a wet blanket 掃興的人
Don’t be such a wet blanket!
9. bit by bit = little by little = gradually = by degrees 漸漸地
The ruling party is losing ground bit by bit.
10. a blessing in disguise 塞翁失馬
Don’t you understand that it turned out to be a blessing in