1. above all 尤其是；最重要的是
He is hardworking, considerate, and above all, honest.
2. above 不屑於；超出....的理解範圍
He is not above asking questions.
This book is above / beyond me.
3. abandon oneself to + O 放棄；放縱
Don’t abandon yourself to despair.
4. by accident 無意中 cf. on purpose 故意地
I discovered the secret by accident.
5. all walks of life = every walk of life 各行各業
I know people from all walks of life.
6. automatically = by itself 自動地
The light went off/out by itself.
7. account for 解釋；說明；引起
Stage fright accounted for her bad performance.
There is no accounting for tastes.
8. take + O + into account = take + O + into consideration
We should take the traffic condition into consideration.
9. of no account = of no importance 不重要
It is of no account whether (or not) he is rich.
10. have access to + O 有接近、使用~的權利或方法
Students have access to all the books in the library.
11. according to + O 根據
According to the Bible, God created the world in six days.
12. be accused of 被控訴
He was accused of taking bribes.
13. be/get/become accustomed to + O 習慣於；適應
= be/get/become used to + O
He is still not accustomed to so much homework and so many
14. acquaint oneself with 熟悉；通曉
A lawyer should acquaint himself with the facts of every case
15. be/get acquainted with + O 熟悉 ~ ；認識 ~
make the acquaintance of sb. 與 ~ 認識
= make sb.’s acquaintance
When did you get acquainted with her ?
= When did you make the acquaintance of her ?
= When did you make her acquaintance ?
16. put + O + into action = put + O + into practice
= put + O + into force
The government put the law into force last month.
17. adapt oneself to +O 使自己適應於 ~
= adjust oneself to +O
= accommodate oneself to + O
You should learn to adapt yourself to the new environment.
18. be adapted for 被改編以適合 ~
Shakespeare’s plays have been adapted for most audience.
19. be addicted to + O 沉溺於；對~上癮
= addict oneself to + O
= be hooked on + O
He is addicted to drugs. = He is hooked on drugs.
20. avail oneself of = make use of 利用
You should avail yourself of every chance to practice