1. bring about 使發生；引起
The war brought about the destruction of the city.
2. bring up 提出；養大
The plan was brought up at the meeting.
He was brought up by his adoptive parents.
3. bump into = come across = run into = run across
I bumped into James on my way here.
4. on business 出差；洽公
cf. for pleasure 遊玩
Are you here on business？
5. call for 請求；需要；呼籲
cf. call upon/on + sb. + to + VR/for + sth. 呼籲
The occasion calls for a cool head.
I would like to call for your cooperation to solve this problem.
The government called upon the public to fight with crimes.
6. call off = cancel 取消
The game was called off because of the rain.
7. be carried away 入迷
The audiences were carried away by his touching speech.
8. carry on = continue 繼續
We will carry on the discussion shortly.
9. carry out 實現；完成
We are supposed to carry out this task at any cost.
10. in case of + O；in case (that) + 子句 如果
You may call me in case of any emergency.
11. catch fire 點燃；著火
Since the wood is wet, it won’t catch fire easily.
12. catch on ( to ) = make out 了解；聽懂
I didn’t catch on ( to) the joke.
13. catch up ( with sb. ) 趕上( 某人)
Go on in front. I’ll soon catch you up.
14. take a/one’s chance(s) = run a risk(s) = take a risk(s)
In order to succeed, we need to take chances from time to
15. It chanced/happened that + S + V 剛好；正巧
It chanced that I was out when you called.
16. take charge of = be in charge of 負責；掌管
Bill took charge of all the arrangements for the wedding
Mr. Wang is in charge of this law firm.
17. check up on + sth. 檢查；核對
The security guard checked up on our papers.
18. crack down on/upon + O 取締；掃蕩；鎮壓
Our government is determined to crack down on drugs.
19. check in 投宿(旅館)；(機場)報到；寄存
check out 結帳離開(旅館)；機場通關；取回寄存物
When did you check in (at) the Ritz？
Travelers on international flights are requested to check in
two hours before the departure time.
Do we have to check in our cameras?
我們須要寄放我們的照相機 (不能攜入照相機) 嗎？
20. free of charge = free 免費
This meal is free of charge. It’s on the house.
21. cheer up 振奮；高興
Cheer up！ Everything will be all right.
22. throw/pour/dash cold water on sb. 對某人澆冷水
Every time he tries to do something decisive, his wife throws
cold water on him.
23. have/get cold feet 膽怯
When the beautiful girl was introduced to him, he got cold
feet and didn’t know what to say.
24. how come ( + S + V )......? 為什麼；怎麼會
How come you are always late?
You are late again！How come？
25. come down with = become ill with = fall ill with 生病
I am coming down with a cold.
26. come up with 想出
Scientists have come up with a method to detect earthquakes.
27. keep company with +人= keep +人+ company
I’ve brought you a dog to keep you company.
A man is known by the company he keeps.
28. clear up 澄清；放晴
The misunderstanding will soon be cleared up.
According to the weather forecast, it will clear up tomorrow .
29. a close call = a narrow escape 千鈞一髮
It was a close call ; he was almost hit by the car.
30. (close) at hand 即將來臨；就在眼前
= ( near ) at hand
= around the corner
Christmas is close at hand.