1. leave sb. cold 不能引起別人的興趣
Your arguments left us cold.
2. in one’s true colors；show one’s true colors
Don’t pretend that you are so indifferent. Show your true
3. have a good command of +語言 精通
It’s advantageous to have a good command of English.
4. in command of 指揮
Who is in command of this troop？
5. in common 共同
We have nothing in common with each other.
6. be compared to 被比喻為；與~比較
Life is often compared to a candle.
7. compared with = in comparison with 與~比較
Compared with my loss, yours is nothing.
8. beyond compare 無與倫比的
Her talent is beyond compare.
9. compensate for = make up for 補償
Diligence compensates for lack of experience.
10. compete with +人 與~競爭
compete in + 方面 在 ~ 方面競爭
compete for + O 為 ~ 而競爭
No one can compete with him in chasing a girl.
Many contestants compete in this speech contest.
Many applicants competed for this teaching job.
1. be composed of = be made up of = contain = consist of
The band is composed of five members.
2. be concerned about/over/for = be anxious about
We are concerned about your safety.我們很擔心你的安全。
3. have a weakness for 特別喜歡；無法抗拒
I have a weakness for ice cream and sweets.
4. as far as ~ be concerned 就~而言；對~來說
As far as I am concerned, school life is enjoyable.
5. be considerate toward sb. 為人著想的；體貼的
He is always considerate toward others.
6. be considerate of sb. ( not ) to + VR
It was considerate of you to give your seat to me.
7. to one’s heart’s content 盡情地
You may eat to your heart’s content.
8. out of control = out of hand 失去控制
under control 在控制下
The situation is out of control now.
9. on the contrary 相反地
He is not stupid; on the contrary, he is very smart.
10. consist in = lie in 在於
True happiness consists in contentment.