1. on one’s own 自立；獨立自主
You have to be on your own.
2. keep pace with = keep up with 齊頭並進；跟上
Their incomes failed to keep pace with inflation.
3. take pains = make efforts 辛苦；辛勞
To learn English well , we have to take pains.
4. play a part/role 扮演一個角色
TV has been playing an important part in our daily lives ever
since it was invented.
5. in particular = particularly 特別地
At leisure, I enjoy listening to classical music in particular.
6. pass away 逝世
The late president passed away years ago.
7. pass for 通過；幾乎與~一樣
Speaking the language the way you do , you can pass for a
8. cast pearls before swine 對牛彈琴
He tried to explain the beauty of the music to his students , but
it was just like casting pearls before swine.
9. pick (out)= select 挑選
I carefully picked (out) this gift for you.
10. take/have pity on = feel sorry/pity for = sympathize with
He always takes great pity on stray dogs.
1. take pleasure in 樂意；感到愉快
She takes great pleasure in teaching her students.
2. to the point 切題；掌握要點
Speak to the point.
3. ( as ) poor as a church mouse 一文不名
That alcoholic is (as) poor as a church mouse.
4. in practice 實際上；在執業中；在練習中
It sounds good in theory , but will it be any good in practice?
The doctor is in practice.
5. put ~ into practice = carry out ~ 實行；實現
You had better weigh your new idea before you put it into
6. pride oneself on = be proud of = take pride in
He took pride in his success.
7. in public 公開地
Don’t wash your dirty laundry/linen in public.
8. put up with = stand = bear = tolerate 忍受
I can’t put up with him any longer.
9. rain or shine 不論晴雨；無論如何
Rain or shine, you can always find him in the park every
10. at random 隨意
I picked up a few items at random at that store.