例：(1) The cat is the cutest of all his pets.（那隻貓是他所有寵物中最可愛的。）
一隻貓 特色比較 某人的所有寵物（有三隻或三隻以上）
(2) The car is the most expensive of all the cars in the shop.
一輛車 價格比較 店裡所有的車（有三輛或三輛以上）
字尾為「子音＋y」，去字尾 -y 加 -iest
字尾為「子音＋y」，去字尾 -y 加 -iest
(1) good → best (2) bad → worst
(3) many / much → most (4) little → least
(5) far → farthest / furthest (6) old → oldest / eldest
3. 有些雙音節形容詞，字尾直接加 -est ，也可在字前加 most 來形成最高級。
例：(1) quiet → quietest / most quiet
(2) polite → politest / most polite
(3) simple → simplest / most simple
(4) common → commonest / most common
1. eldest 用在指家庭關係中兄、姐、長子、長女等關係，且用在名詞之前：
例：(1) eldest / oldest brother（長兄）
(2) eldest / oldest son（長子）
→ 使用比較級elder / older時，表示家中有兩個兒子或女兒；
使用最高級eldest / oldest時，表示家中有三個或三個以上的兒子或女兒。
例：(1) Giddens’ latest novel is very popular.
(2) December is the last month of a year.
3. farthest 與 furthest 在最高級中，若指的是實際距離上的「最遠」，意思相同：
例：(1) farthest / furthest market（最遠的市場）→ farthest / furthest 為形容詞
(2) jump the farthest / jump the furthest（跳得最遠）→ farthest / furthest 為副詞
1. thin → 2. large →
3. true → 4. loud →
5. poor → 6. wide →
7. new → 8. fresh →
9. little → 10. small →
11. beautiful → 12. popular →
13. angry → 14. handsome →
15. quiet → 16. exciting →
(1) 做比較時，通常會有指定的對象或範圍，故會在形容詞最高級之前加上 the，以點出對象
例：1 Amy is the tallest (student) in her class.（Amy是她班上身高最高的學生。）
2.The blue pen is the cheapest of the three.（這枝藍色原子筆是三枝筆中最便宜的。）
The movie is the most interesting of all.
Chi-ling Lin is the tallest of the four.
Justin’s songs are the saddest of all.
She is the saddest girl of the five.
Paul is the smartest of all.
Which is the expensive: a card, flowers, or chocolate?
Yao Ming is the tallest player on the basketball team.
Susan is the fattest singer in the show.
David Beckham is the most handsome soccer player in the UK.
A whale is the largest animal in the world.
Ants are the busiest of all.
1. The building is very tall. It is the tallest in the world.
2. Today is a happy day. In fact, it is the happiest day of my life.
3. Vivian is a popular singer. She is the most singer in the country.
4. The black jacket is expensive. It is the most expensive of the five.
2. What is＋the＋形容詞最高級＋名詞＋介系詞片語?
例：What is the largest city in the world?
3. Which (one) is＋the＋形容詞最高級, A, B, or C?
例：Which (one) is the smartest, Helen, Mary, or Lucy?
→「名詞＋be動詞＋形容詞比較級＋than＋all the other＋複數名詞＋介系詞片語.」
例：(1) Tina is the thinnest girl in my class.（Tina是我班上最瘦的女孩。）
→ Tina is thinner than any other girl in my class.（Tina比我班上任何一個女孩還瘦。）
→ Tina is thinner than all the other girls in my class.（Tina比我班上所有其他女孩還瘦。）
(2) The blue whale is the largest animal in the world.（藍鯨是世界上最大型的動物。）
→ The blue whale is larger than any other animal in the world.
→ The blue whale is larger than all the other animals in the world.
例：The turtle is by far the oldest animal in the zoo.
( D ) 1. In this five-person game, the one who finds hidden balls will win the last free ticket for the movie A Born Player. 【99-1-10】
(A) many (B) some (C) the more (D) the most
( D ) 2. Nancy is player on the school basketball team.
(A) good (B) better (C) a best (D) the best
( C ) 3. Kevin studies five subjects at school. History is subject for him.
(A) difficult (B) most difficult (C) the most difficult (D) the more difficult
( B ) 4. is the longest river in the world?
(A) Where (B) What (C) Who (D) How
( A ) 5. February is shorter than of the year.
(A) any other month (B) any months (C) all months (D) all other month
( C ) 6. Snow White is girl in the story.
(A) most beautiful (B) beautiful
(C) the most beautiful (D) more beautiful
( A ) 7. Swimming is of all the sports. I go swimming every day.
(A) the most interesting (B) most interesting
(C) more interesting (D) interesting
( D ) 8. Winter is season of a year. You need to wear more clothes when it comes.
(A) cold (B) coldest (C) colder (D) the coldest
( C ) 9. Stephen Chow is of all the actors. When I watch his movies, I feel very happy.
(A) funny (B) funniest (C) the funniest (D) funnier
( A ) 10. Ron: Hi, Hermione. Why do you look sad?
Hermione: The test this morning was very . I failed it.
(A) difficult (B) more difficult (C) most difficult (D) the difficult
( C ) 11. Koalas are the in the zoo, but people still love them very much.
(A) lazy (B) lazier (C) laziest (D) most lazy
( D ) 12. Amanda: Who is of all the actors in the TV program?
Ted: Jackie Chan. Almost everyone knows about him.
(A) famous (B) very famous (C) most famous (D) the most famous
( C ) 13. Hualien City isn’t the biggest city in Taiwan, but it is the most beautiful in Taiwan.
(A) of city (B) of all cities (C) of all the cities (D) in every city
( B ) 14. The movie is . All of my friends went to see it.
(A) the popular (B) very popular (C) most popular (D) more popular
( D ) 15. Jack: These five dogs are cute.
Miranda: I like one. Can I feed it?
(A) small (B) smaller (C) smallest (D) the smallest
( B ) 16. John is than his brother because he exercises every day.
(A) healthy (B) healthier (C) healthiest (D) the healthiest
( A ) 17. Mr. Campbell just won the lottery（中樂透）! He is the man in the world.
(A) luckiest (B) luckily (C) luckier (D) lucky
1. Bob: Do you want to see the movie Ice Age with me?
Lisa: Sure. It is (interesting) of all the movies now.
2. Ulysses: Did you watch the movie Shaolin Soccer before?
Benjamin: Of course. It is (great) movie in history.
3. London is (big) city in the UK. No other cities in the UK are bigger than it.
4. Jane is (old) girl of the five sisters. Elizabeth, Mary, Catherine, and Lydia are all Jane’s younger sisters.
5. He is (slim) boy in the class. He doesn’t like to eat.
6. Our history teacher is (bad) teacher at school. No one likes to go to his class.
7. Rita is (beautiful) than her sisters, so they envy her very much.
8. Bananas are too (sweet). For me, apples are (good) than bananas.
9. The traffic in Taipei is much (heavy) than the traffic in Nantou.
10. Uncle Ted is the (good)! He always helps me with my homework.
1. The USA is ( big / bigger / the biggest ) than Japan.
2. The weather in Taipei is as ( bad / worse / the worst ) as in Yilan.
3. Mr. Lee has three sons. Jeremy is ( the old / the older / the oldest ) one.
4. It is ( farthest / furthest / by far ) the tallest tree in the park.
5. I bought the dress because it’s ( beautiful / more beautiful / the most beautiful ) in the shop.
A rabbit and a few turtles are having a race. The rabbit is sure that it will win. It says to the turtles, “You cannot be 1. than I am. You’ll lose.” The turtles say, “It’s too
2. to tell. Let’s begin now!”
So they begin to run. At first, the rabbit runs very fast. Ten minutes 3. , it stops. It looks back at the turtles and thinks, “The turtles are so slow. Why don’t I take a rest now?”
But the turtles run past the rabbit when it sleeps. At the end, they all reach the finish line 4. than the rabbit. Now who’s 5. of them all?
& past 經過 reach 抵達 finish line 終點線
( B ) 1. (A) fast (B) faster (C) fastest (D) the fastest
( A ) 2. (A) early (B) late (C) much (D) more
( C ) 3. (A) late (B) latter (C) later (D) latest
( B ) 4. (A) early (B) earlier (C) more early (D) earliest
( D ) 5. (A) slow (B) slower (C) slowest (D) the slowest