1. talk big = talk through one’s hat 說大話
A person who likes to talk big is not reliable..
2. keep cool = keep calm = keep one’s head 保持冷靜
In the presence of danger , we must keep calm.
3. lose one’s head = lose one’s mind 失去理智
He must have lost his head.
4. keep early hours 早睡早起
keep late hours 晚睡晚起
keep good hours 早睡早起；作息規律
keep bad hours 作息不定
The Johnsons always keep good hours.
5. speak ill of 說壞話
speak well of 說好話
It is unkind of you to speak ill of him.
6. be immune to + 病 免疫
be immune from + O 免於
We are immune to cholera as the result of vaccination.
Only few people in this country are immune from poverty.
7. impose on/upon 加諸於
The government imposes taxes on imported goods.
8. be indifferent to sb./sth. 對~漠不關心
I can’t stand his being so indifferent to this matter.
9. look into = investigate = examine 調查
The police are looking into the case.
10. blow sb. a kiss 給~一個飛吻
I blew my sweetheart a kiss.
1. lay hands on 獲得；逮捕
He reads whatever he can lay his hands on.
2. leave room for 有~餘地
Your English composition leaves little room for improvement.
3. pull one’s leg 愚弄；欺騙
cf. drag one’s feet 扯後腿
Don’t pull his leg.
Your constant dragging my feet is unbearable.
4. at leisure = in one’s free/spare time 空閒時
At leisure, I enjoy watching TV.
5. let on 洩漏；透漏
She went through a lot of hardships but never let on.
6. give sb. a lift = give sb. a ride 載~一程
Could you give me a lift？
7. throw/shed light on 幫助說明；使明朗化
His testimony shed light on the case.
8. read between the lines 體會弦外之音
He is bright enough to read between the lines.
9. live up to 實行；遵守
Will you live up to your word？
10. in the long run = in the end = at last 結果
It doesn’t pay, in the long run, to cheat on exams.
1. long - sighted = far - sighted 有遠見的；遠視眼的
short - sighted = near - sighted 短視的；近視眼的
A far - sighted manufacturer will not try to gain quick profits
by producing goods of inferior quality.
2. look forward to + O 期盼 to 為介係詞 後須接名詞或動名詞
I am looking forward to this year’s summer break.
3. look one’s age 和年齡相當
You don’t look your age.
4. look out ( for ) = watch out ( for ) 小心
Look out for the traffic.
小心交通 ( 車子 ) 。
5. look over 檢查
Before you hand in your paper , you’d better look it over
6. let sb. down 令~ 失望
Don’t let me down.
7. a white lie 善意的謊言
Don’t get mad; it’s just a white lie.
8. at a loss 若有所失；不知所措；損失
He was at a loss on hearing the sudden news.
9. make the most of 做最好的利用
I am going to make the most of this summer vacation by
taking a trip to Europe.
10. make out 領悟；了解
I can’t make out what is in his mind.