1. set fire to ~ = set ~ on fire 放火
The civilians set the tanks on fire.
2. flunk/fail + 科目；考試 不及格；當了
How come you failed the final exams?
3. (as) fit as a fiddle = perfectly healthy 非常健康；神采奕奕
I am (as) fit as a fiddle.
4. be in for it 一定要受罰
You will be in for it when mother finds out.
5. vote for 投票支持
vote against 投票反對
I voted for this proposal.
They voted against the construction of a nuclear power plant
in their neighborhood.
6. fall victim/prey to + O 成為~的受害者
I hate to see you fall victim to vanity.
7. be foreign to 非~原有的；與~無關的
Cruelty is foreign to his nature.
8. far from 差得遠；離得遠
He is far from ( being ) generous.
9. take French leave 不告而別；不假外出
You should not have taken French leave.
10. make fun of = poke fun at 嘲弄
Stop making fun of this poor little girl.
1. make a fuss 大驚小怪
Don’t make such a fuss about this small thing.
2. gain ground 佔優勢
Due to his experience and better skills , the defending
champion is starting to gain ground.
3. hold up 搶劫；延誤
On our way to the airport , we were held up in a traffic jam.
4. get sth. across to sb. 使 ~ 了解
I was unable to get across to him what I meant.
5. get on one’s nerves 使緊張；使心神不寧
Stop crying. You are getting on my nerves.
6. get over = recover from 由~恢復
He just got over the flu.
7. get nowhere 徒勞無功；一事無成
You will get nowhere unless you are determined to work hard.
8. go over = brush up on = review 複習
To prepare for the exam , I must go over all the lessons.
9. lose ground 讓步；撤退
Mini-skirts never lose ground.
10. meet sb. half-way 妥協
We have no choice but to meet him half-way.