1. be composed of = be made up of = contain = consist of
The band is composed of five members.
2. be concerned about/over/for = be anxious about
We are concerned about your safety.
3. have a weakness for 特別喜歡；無法抗拒
I have a weakness for ice cream and sweets.
4. as far as ~ be concerned 就~而言；對~來說
As far as I am concerned, school life is enjoyable.
5. be considerate toward sb. 為人著想的；體貼的
He is always considerate toward others.
6. be considerate of sb. ( not ) to + VR
It was considerate of you to give your seat to me.
7. to one’s heart’s content 盡情地
You may eat to your heart’s content.
8. out of control = out of hand 失去控制
under control 在控制下
The situation is out of control now.
9. on the contrary 相反地
He is not stupid; on the contrary, he is very smart.
10. consist in = lie in 在於
True happiness consists in contentment.
1. consist of = include 包含
The jury consists of twelve persons.
2. correspond to +O = be in agreement with 與~一致
His actions did not correspond to his words.
3. be convinced of 相信；確信
convince 人 of 事 使 ~ 相信
Are you convinced of the so-called truth?
4. cope with = deal with 應付；解決
Nations all over the world today are trying hard to cope with
the energy crisis.
5. around/round the corner = ( near ) at hand
At twenty-one they feel they have lost their childhood, at
thirty their youth, at forty they worry about middle age, at
fifty they see old age around the corner.
6. crocodile tears 鱷魚的眼淚 ( 假慈悲 )
Their shedding crocodile tears only made me feel disgusted.
7. give sb. the creeps 令人毛骨悚然
That horror movie really gave me the creeps.
= That horror movie really made my flesh creep.
8. be cut out for 天生適合
He is not cut out for a doctor.
9. short cut 捷徑
There is no short cut to success.
10. in the dark 在暗處；被隱瞞
Most children are afraid of being left alone in the dark.
1. out of date 過時的；陳舊的
The documents are already out of date.
2. to date = until now 到目前為止
To date, I haven’t heard from him yet.
3. up to date 最新的
The news is not up to date at all.
4. on the decrease 在減少中
on the increase/rise 在增加中
The population of this city is on the decrease.
5. devote oneself/sth. to + O = be devoted to + O
= dedicate oneself/sth. to + O = be dedicated to + O
He devoted/dedicated his whole life to the development of
6. to a ( certain ) degree = somewhat = to some extent
John is to a degree difficult to get along with.
7. deprive 人 of 權利 剝奪~的權利
The Communist government deprives the people of their
8. in detail 詳細地
This matter will be discussed in detail later.
9. drive at 意指；用意何在
I can’t make out what you are driving at.
10. drop sb. a line/note 捎封短信
Be sure to drop me a line/note as soon as you get there.